Fresh Flowers from Pike Place

Today started out less than pleasant for me. I tend to forget that things don’t agree with me, in this case vodka. As a result of this forgetfulness I treated myself to an indulgence of four raspberry lemon drops after dinner last night (yes, yes, in the safety of my own home where I wouldn’t be tempted to drive anywhere and where minimal mayhem could be caused). These drinks, although delicious and refreshing, with fresh squeezed lemon juice, turned out to be a bad judgement call. Around six-thirty this morning I woke up with a pounding headache, my head spinning. I got up to blow my nose, movement made me queasy, and I spent a good long while in the bathroom hurling. Once my system seemed clear of the vodka, I felt a bit better, and went back to bed for a couple hours. When I woke up, I didn’t feel one bit better, and was incredibly unhappy with myself for causing this self-inflicted agony. Strains of “The Worst Hangover Ever” by the Offspring rang in my achy head as I forced myself to eat a little oatmeal so I could take aspirin. Task accomplished, I dragged myself back upstairs and slept until eleven. By then, I was feeling a whole lot better, although Paul took great enjoyment in taunting me for my hangover and for my late sleeping.

The weather was rainy and very windy, but by afternoon the sun was breaking through and we decided to get out of the house. As we drove into Seattle, the sky opened up and rained on us some more, and the temperature was only 49 degrees. Brrr! Luckily the rain had pretty much stopped by the time we parked downtown, but the wind gusted and I felt like I would fall over as we stood waiting to cross the street. I didn’t mind it, though. It felt so good to be outside walking in the fresh air.

We ducked into Sur La Table, and Paul admired the expensive pots and pans like a kid in a candy store. He picked out a new pair of kitchen shears and I got myself a new coffee cup for my desk. After that, we headed down the street to Pike Place Market. It was the first time we’d been since moving up here. I went downstairs to the restroom and when I came back, Paul handed me an absolutely gorgeous bouquet of fresh flowers. “Here, I know you like stuff like this,” he said. I was so excited! I hardly ever get flowers, and flowers for no occasion at all, just because he loves me and wants to make me happy, are just the very best. I was beaming the whole time we walked through the market, holding my flowers proudly. When we got home I lovingly put them in my best vase and displayed them on the dresser in our room. I may have also taken several photos of them to post on Facebook. Just sayin.

We hung around downtown awhile longer, browsing in shops and talking. I love Sundays now. Since they are the only time Paul and I get together where one of us doesn’t have to work, they are special and we are making the most of them by spending time together. Everything seems to be going so incredibly well right now, I can hardly believe it. Paul and I are getting along great and having fun together, work’s been good, and of course I am loving the fall season and am super happy we are in Washington.

On the way home we stopped at a Tully’s in Woodinville and sat by the fireplace, sipping our lattes. I got my pumpkin spice latte, which is my fall favorite. The evening was simple but pleasant. We finished our coffee and headed home, stopping on the way at Haggen’s for our weekly groceries. We had dinner at Wendy’s because I was craving a cheeseburger (yes, I know that is not diet friendly food, but I lost three pounds by throwing up vodka, so I figure it’s okay).

With things going so well, I am calm and relaxed and feel really good.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *